Thursday, September 13, 2007

Enjoy After the Hunt


The new Miller High Life box stirs up some nostalgia for those HUNTERS WELCOME signs that used to stand posted outside roadside taverns during my Pennsylvania years . . . I'm told sales also benefit the National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants Forever, and Whitetails Unlimited, as suggested by the busy colorful packaging. All this aside, it's been a decade or so since I enjoyed a real beer of any kind after any sort of hunt--the occasional N.A. brew notwithstanding . . . I do know one thing though, my old friend the fuzzy-headed, pre-dawn hangover can R.I.P. for all I care. I'm too busy climbing a ridge toward roosted birds or out with my English setters most of the time to notice what I missed the night before. Cool looking box though, for sure . . .

--Steve Hickoff