Monday, April 30, 2007

View from April 30


Maine's "A" spring turkey season opened this rainy northern New England morning for hunters with odd-year birth dates. Yep, you heard right. I've told that little management twist to hunting buds around the country, and they all reply with a sort of "Say what?" response. No telling if there are more "A" or "B" season hunters from this office chair. I do know I'm an even-year guy . . . (For more on this subject check out my article "Maine's Spring Gobblers," and photos in the current May-June issue of Turkey Call magazine.)

It's hammer time here at the keyboard, with two articles on the screen at a time before the Granite State's regular spring turkey season opens this Thursday, May 3. (Youth seasons for the two-state area commenced this past Sat., and even ran through yesterday in NH--no Sunday hunting in Maine.)

P.S. As a Steelers fan and Pennsylvania native trapped in New England, I first thought the Randy Moss trade was a joke. Even now a day later I think it's pretty funny in the you've-got-to-be-kidding department.

(Steve Hickoff photo/text)