Thursday, May 10, 2007

Western Ways

I'm posting this from the lobby of the Ramkota Hotel in Rapid City, South Dakota--the sunrise to my left; "complimentary" coffee stand to my right: not a bad road office at all.

Anyhow, I've spent this past week over in Wyoming hunting deep canyon and high meadow gobblers with Whitetail Creek Outfitters near Devil's Tower.

A National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) event, it brought together hardworking Regional Directors from around the country, along with their guests, and some national NWTF staffers, namely my friends Karen Lee (who edits two of their fine magazines), and Jonathan Harling, the NWTF's public-relations man.

All-day hunts provide plenty of opportunity, and we had that. Know that I put a tag on a 21 lb.Merriam's gobbler Tuesday morning, May 8 (high meadow strutter above a canyon), and my buddy Harling put his on a super bird that ate up his box calling under two hours later (canyon bird, far below that high meadow). It later creaked the camp scales at 24 lbs. That's a big bird anywhere, especially out West.

Look for photos posted here in the next few days . . .

--Steve Hickoff