Saturday, September 1, 2007

Ah, September

The Labor Day tourists that clogged the northbound arteries of I-95 all day yesterday likely see this northern New England weekend as the end of something, while some of us know it's just the beginning.

For the record, I did not hop the border to the N.H. side to squirrel hunt this morning, though it was cool enough, for sure . . . part of me wanted to, but instead I wrote about fall turkeys for one of my markets, and checked out my bookmarks online.

Sports, and hunting: In short, the Steelers look sharp at 4-1 (though that pre-season slate is unfortunately wiped clean), the Celtics have a decent group on paper that is either the best men's league team in the country, or a real-time contender, and wild turkeys seem to be everywhere. The Red Sox are sliding (just 5 games ahead of the Yankees as I write this), but you can't have everything . . .

Writing: I've one book project underway, and another I'll likely sign on for this month. My magazine assignments are going out steadily, and my "New England Afield" newspaper space (Foster's Sunday Citizen) offers a regional foundation in this my tenth year of providing column/photo content--their online links to my column often appear internationally as well. Just Google my name and check it out . . .

Seminars, signings, and classes: I'll be talking fall turkeys and signing books next week at the Kittery Trading Post's Septemberfest, and other venues as well this autumn. I'm teaching two Granite State College writing courses that will get me out of the home office a couple nights a week as well.

Gotta run now though . . . I smell bacon frying in the kitchen.

--Steve Hickoff