Thursday, March 8, 2007

In Your Face


I love the feeling of calling spring gobblers into range, then watching that bird strut in front of my setup, looking for the hen I'm imitating.

I savor those few moments, and even let the strutter mince steps in even closer on occasion. That's what it's all about—for me. I like to hear their footsteps in the leaves. I like to hear that strut and rumble. I'm not sure that can be done at half a football field. Twenty to 35 yards is where I like turkeys to be when I pull the trigger. I want that knockdown punch to be the last thing a gobbler feels. Boom--down. I've taken them at longer ranges, but not often. Then again, I'm an old-school, pumpgun sort of guy, so that's what I choose to do. Make my loads 5s or 6s in the modern industry options, with an appropriate choke at the business end, and I'm good to go.

On the other hand, I've hunting buds who studiously utilize all that modern shotshells, chokes and firearms have to offer. They know they can kill a turkey at 45 steps, so they do it.

In the end, you choose.

--Steve Hickoff

(Steve Hickoff photo)