Tuesday, March 13, 2007

On the Docket


Magazine and newspaper deadlines, classes, intensive seminars, appearances, and panel discussions are on the agenda in the coming months, that is when I'm not on the road turkey hunting four states, or trying to work in a quickie gobbler hunt in two others, both in southern Maine, or just over the border in New Hampshire. Nine tags. It's always more than just filling them though . . . the hunt is in the trying.

My turkey book (Stackpole) will be issued this August, and blog readers can contact me via email for more information. Much of the magazine work I completed last fall is now appearing (or has in the past few months), namely two bonus turkey articles in Outdoor Life, a calling piece in Turkey & Turkey Hunting, a Merriam's hunt in the 2007 Realtree Outdoors Turkey Special annual, a turkey vocalization article in the NWTF's Get in the Game magazine (plus photo support), two features, a sidebar short on beating setup bugs, plus a bunch of photos for the 2007 Turkey Hunting Stategies book (a Harris publication), the Ruffed Grouse Society Magazine mood piece on the one that got away, and the Realtree.com feature I did on cottontail hunting, the only one that doesn't involve wild turkeys.

For that diverse generalist hunting, fishing, and nature-oriented copy, check out my newspaper beat in Foster's Sunday Citizen (I just wrote on picking gun dog pups). This is my tenth year providing content there, and it remains a pleasure writing for the paper, which has a central and southern NH/southern Maine circulation. The connection with the readership, many of whom write me on a regular basis, is enjoyable.

--Steve Hickoff

(Steve Hickoff photo)