Monday, March 5, 2007

Update from March


Nope. We didn't see the lunar eclipse this weekend with cloud cover above us as I ran Radar on a 400-acre chunk of local state land. Then again, the light did go weird with black and gray tones around then . . . then again that could have just been night falling. Is a shadow falling across the moon a big deal? Discuss--

At any rate, some of my magazine contributor's copies have started to arrive at the other end of our icy driveway. Still haven't seen my Outdoor Life mouth calling piece in print (though some of you have). My dad's sending a copy from Pennsylvania (the special March OL issue with my bonus article--300,000 copies or so total--went to subscribers in the "Top 10 turkey states," . . . and my editor and buddy Doug jokingly reminds me that Maine is not one of them (though we have plenty of turkeys, an estimated 40-60,000 in fact . . . nine local flocks by my scouting). At any rate, I'm waiting for a look-see at the current OL piece.

Just saw my "Body Language" (formerly dubbed, "Reading Turkeys Like a Book," now a subtitle) in Turkey Call (I'm a longtime NWTF member and supporter), and I am waiting to check out my turkey vocalizations pc. in the recent Get in the Game issue (another NWTF pub). I've another bonus turkey feature appearing in in OL next month (focus: on when it may be necessary and appropriate to take a gobbler on the wing, though arguably a standing bird is much preferred to the Plan B option . . . and if you have never been in such a situation, you aren't hunting turkeys enough, my friends).

In the future, a dogging piece will appear the fall issue of Turkey & Turkey Hunting (check out their super online turkey forum at www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com to get you through the rest of winter), plus another autumn turkey-hunting piece in Turkey Call (NWTF members get it), and others (my usual subjects: turkeys/waterfowl/upland birds and dogs/small game/gear reviews) . . . my Stackpole turkey book is slated for August release. Stay tuned. Trying to close the deal on another book project, and have some queries for mag work coming through as I post this blog.

Then there's always my regular weekly Sunday column and photos in Foster's Sunday Citizen for you NH/southern Maine folks . . .

As a "writer who teaches," I've got some adjunct work coming up (a Granite State College nature writing intensive, for instance), plus a panel on hunting and fishing, and an appearance with some high-schoolers interested in writing . . . my advice, as always: (1) love the craft, (2) develop a thick skin, and (3) never get too high with successes nor too low with missed opportunities, etc. (rejection and acceptance comes routinely each day for the working writer). I repeat: love your craft.

Anyhow . . .

Six states slated for spring turkey right now, with Texas and Wyoming front and center. I'll hunt New Hampshire and Maine when home (I'm a "B Season" even birth year hunter this season in Maine, so I'll miss a good chunk of the first week . . . it all ends June 2 though). Two Vermont tags sit in my wallet and a pair of NY options hang on my vest from last fall.

An Osceola hunt just came onto the March '08 schedule, so it looks like a lock on spring '07 right now . . . and then there's late spring and summer fishing after all this fun.

--Steve Hickoff

(Photo Steve Hickoff)